Monday, April 14, 2008

Our Brittney Joy











I wanted to do this blog on Brittney before graduation. It is coming in a few short weeks and I knew as time got closer; things will get hectic; our traveling up there, activities. I wanted to do this blog with plenty of time to reflect, write.

I posted a few pictures; only a few out of thousands we have. I wanted to share these with you. I can certainly tell you that these pictures seem like they were taken yesterday. As I look at them, I am remembering each thing about that age, where we were, what she was like. This is to honor our first born who is at the crossroads of life. She has always loved school, did well in school, has had many friends. She said recently "I can't imagine not ever having any homework again". She is so excited about that.

Brittney Joy came into our life the Summer of 1987. She was a "surprise" to us; but not to God. We had only been married 18 short months. She changed our world! We were so thrilled when she was born. She was the first grandchild on my side of the family and the first girl born on the Williams side in 35 years. She was cherished! I had never been a Mommy before; I had no clue what to do with her. Tim went overseas three weeks after she was born; I packed bassinet and all and headed to Dad and Mom's for three weeks. I needed HELP!! They kindly obliged. She did everything early ... crawled at six months; walked at 11 months. Talked early, she was so smart. She loved to be read to; we read most nights of her early growing up years. She was a Mommy's girl. Wherever I was; there she was. She adored her Daddy. When he would leave to travel; she would cry and cry; which made me cry. She learned through the years that Daddy would always come back.

She began K-4 at Highlands Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. She went three mornings a week. She thrived there; I missed her terribly. She began K-5 in Callahan and went there through 5th grade. I boohooed the first day of school. My little buddy wouldn't be around to hang with Mom. Baby Sis Ashlyn had been born by then; so I wasn't alone. She began taking dance lessons, she cheered Pop Warner, was in GA's. She loved life and was a delight. At age six when Kelly Green was at our church in a revival, she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart. Late one evening, we knelt down beside my bed and I heard that precious little voice ask Jesus to save her and to forgive her of her sins. It's a night I'll never forget. Her Daddy had the honor of baptizing her several weeks later.

In 6th grade we put her in Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville. This was a new school. She knew a few girls from FBC, Jacksonville. I remember wanting to walk her up to her new classroom and she said "Mom, I can do it by myself." I stayed in the car and watched her walk away and cried. She did so great at TCA; she graduated from high school there. She cheered, was involved in everything, was a Senior Superlative. We watched our little girl turn into a young woman. She had said for a long time she wanted to go to Liberty University. We began praying for God's will in her life in this college decision. The Lord allowed her to attend Liberty; where she said it's been the "best years of her life". We've seen her grow and mature into a wonderful young woman. Now, here we are at the last few weeks of school and I have been reflecting back ... alot. See, I'm struggling letting her go "more" ... a job, apartment, financially on her own (I should be happy, right?!?), making her way. I cry tears of happiness of the young woman she is becoming, so proud of her love for the Lord.

Did I mess up? Oh, boy, did I. I lost my cool when I shouldn't have, I yelled too much at times, I said things I regret; I asked for forgiveness. But when I look at our first born, almost 21, I see God's hand upon her and realize, that with His help; alot was done right - thank the Lord. Our prayer for Brittney is to be the best woman for Christ that she can be, live for Him, seek Him in all she does, pray for God's perfect mate choice for her life. We tell her all the time that if she'll do it God's way; she'll never regret it.

This blog is in honor of our first born Brittney. Congratulations on your college graduation. We love you and are so proud of you. You are loved.

Here is explanation of the pictures above. My scanning isn't so hot; you can click on the picture to enlarge it!

1. Brittney's first Easter - 10 months old
2. Dad & Mom with Brittney - K4 Graduation
3. Brittney's Christmas picture - 2 years old
4. Brittney's dance recital picture - 4 years old
5. Brittney, Ashlyn and I - Thanksgiving - Brittney 4 1/2; Ashlyn 2 1/2 months.
6. Brittney - 1 year old
7. Brittney and I - going to hear her Daddy preach in revival (1 years old)
8. Brittney and her Daddy - 1 year old
9. Brittney - painting - 2 years old

2 comments:

Jon said...

You need to let me crop your pictures for you.

:-)

Tracey said...

What a sweet, heartfelt tribute to Brittney. Ahhh! I love this post---it's amazing how quickly they grow up, isn't it?!

She is a wonderful girl with wonderful parents---the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!